Walking Canes Buyers Guide
If you're suffering from mobility issues, you might be wondering whether you should use a cane or a different type of device to improve your mobility. While a cane can improve your mobility, there are other ways to improve your ability to get around. However, canes remain a popular way to do it! Learn more about canes below, along with how to pick the right one for your needs.\
Canes Can Be Made Out of Wood, Steel, Aluminum, and Other Materials
There are multiple materials that you can choose from if you're picking out a cane. Not only is it important to know the differences between these common cane materials, but it's also important to familiarize yourself with the features of high-quality steel, wood, and aluminum for canes. Here's what you need to know to pick the right material for your cane:
- Read reviews of any cane that you're considering. Make sure that the cane you choose has been reported to be durable by customers.
- Realize that aluminum canes are likely to be the most lightweight, which makes them a great option for many seniors. In addition, aluminum tends to be the most affordable material to choose as well.
- Wooden cones are typically significantly more expensive if they have carvings of any kind on them.
- Steel canes are generally less expensive than wooden canes that include carvings or designs. However, their specific price varies significantly from one manufacturer to another.
- You can choose from a variety of colors for your cane.
- There are adjustable height canes and canes with a strap available as well. These are a good choice for individuals with more significant mobility issues.
- Some canes have a specialized base for uneven terrain.
- Exceptionally strong materials are designed for people who need a high weight capacity. One example of such a material is carbon fiber.
- There are several different materials that can be used to create canes with a derby handle.
Know When You Need a Cane
In order to know when you need a cane, it's important to consider how well you get around on a day-to-day basis. Here are a few ways that you can assess your mobility:
- Determine whether or not you tend to have difficulty going up the stairs. If you are struggling to climb a flight of stairs when you otherwise would have had no issue with it, this could be a sign that you'll need a cane to improve your mobility.
- If you suffer from serious pain while walking very short distances, this is a surefire sign that you need a walking assistance device, such as a cane or walker.
- If you know that your mobility is impaired, consider whether or not a cane will be sufficient. Individuals who have serious mobility issues may be better served to use a walker as opposed to a cane.
How Do You Measure a Walking Cane?
In order to pick the right walking cane, it will be important to ensure that you pick one with measurements. This means that it will need to be the right length for your body. Here are a few tips and tricks that can help you to measure your walking cane:
- Make sure that you measure the distance from your feet to your hips. This will allow you to get an accurate measurement for how long your legs are.
- It's important to ensure that you are comparing the right measurements when you're picking a walking cane.
- Make sure that you measure the walking cane from the top to the base accurately. Ensure that you lean both ends up on the cane exactly. Otherwise, the length you measure may be slightly too long.
Will Medicare Cover a Walking Cane?
Medicare will cover a walking cane in some circumstances, but this depends on your medical condition. That's because canes will only be covered for older adults with certain specific types of health problems, such as these common age-related ailments:
- Arthritis: You will be able to get a cane covered by Medicare if you suffer from rheumatoid, psoriatic, or osteoarthritis that reduces your mobility.
- Osteoporosis and osteopenia: Osteoporosis is a serious condition, which can limit your mobility. Not only can these conditions limit your mobility, but they can also increase your risk of suffering a serious injury after a fall. As a result, you may need a cane for safety reasons.
- Injuries: If you suffer an injury that has led to mobility problems, you'll be able to get a cane that is covered by Medicare.
What Are the Best Walking Canes in 2021?
While there are numerous types of canes that you can choose from, most people looking for a cane will choose a simple aluminum or wooden cane. The best walking canes for 2021 are made by Ergoactives. That's because we offer an exceptionally simplistic, durable, and lightweight design!
How Do You Know Whether You Need a Cane or a Walker?
In some cases, it can be difficult to know when you need a cane instead of a walker. However, there are some important things to keep in mind when you're making that decision, such as these crucial tips:
- If you are suffering from mobility issues that make it very difficult to walk at all, you should consider a wheelchair as opposed to a cane. However, you may still need a cane for when you need to stand up for short periods of time.
- If you are suffering from mobility issues that allow you to walk significant distances but need more support than a conventional cane can offer, a cane with four separate legs at the bottom may be just what you need.
- If you're struggling with mobility issues that only cause minor impairment, a lightweight cane may be exactly what you need. However, if you have more serious mobility issues, a heavier cane with a larger base may be better.
What's the Average Cost of a Walking Cane?
The average cost of a walking cane will depend on the specific type of product that you choose. If you buy a wooden walking cane, you can expect to spend around $15 to $40 on average. However, a steel cane will be closer to the higher end of this range, and an aluminum cane will be closer to the lower end of this range.
Exceptionally high-quality walking canes often cost $100 or more. Our walking canes are in the range of $75 to $150, which means that our products offer an exceptionally good value!
Why You Should Choose Ergoactives
We truly understand the importance of quality and lightweight design when it comes to a walking cane, and that's why Ergoactives produces the lightest and most durable canes on the market. Furthermore, we offer them at exceptional prices that are hard to find anywhere else, and they're covered by Medicare part B! The same cannot be said of many other products. So, give us a call or browse our online selection today. You won't regret it!